Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mmmmm....beer....Homer like beer


I don't necessarily have the most discerning tastebuds. I try to eat and drink things that taste delicious, but honestly, I just can't tell the difference between a $10 and a $20 bottle of wine. And while I prefer more expensive, flavorful, hoppy beer to mass-produced domestics, I can't always tell you WHY I like one better, or pick out the individual flavors in each.

Kirk has embarked on a year-long adventure to drink 100 different wine varietals. That sort of challenge would be wasted on me since I really probably can't discern, and would most certainly never remember, the subtle differences between most of them. However, I like beer, and I think I can drink 100 different types of beer!

So I will have a running list on the side of my blog for the remainder of 2008. The ones listed are ones that I already have consumed so far this year. Considering that this year is only 41 days old, it may shock you (and it definitely shocks me) to realize I've already had 32 different beers. But when I really think about it, it's not too surprising. I don't drink much, rarely to excess, but when I do drink, I always have a different beer each time. In fact, the reason I've had so many Summits, Leine's and Schell's is because I bought sampler packs and had one of each.

I've categorized them into 4different categories. 3 are domestic, 1 is imported. For domestics I have LOCAL (which I'm most proud of), then DOMESTIC (which are small breweries or microbrews only) and then lastly CRAPPY DOMESTICS which is your standard mass-produced beer. I certainly like a Miller Lite every now and then, but let's be honest, compared to a Surly, Miller Lite is pretty crappy. Check back to see if I hit 100 beers before Kirk hits 100 varietals!

1 comment:

Tyler said...

I think you need to keep a running total of how many beer servings you have in addition to the different varieties.